1. Alleges to understand nutritional science but rejects it--constantly referring to how they are SMASHING MAINSTREAM SCIENCE and DROPPING NUTRITIONAL TRUTHBOMBS!
2. Declares repeatedly that "calories don’t matter"!
3. Describes certain foods or nutrients as EVIL or THE DEVIL.
4. Frequently regurgitates pseudoscience from internet-born nutrition “experts,” health journalists, or people named Lustig, Taubes, Mercola, or Davis.
5. Personally follows a fad diet.
6. Can’t provide sound research when asked to back up a nutrition or health claim (and in most cases, they won't respond to you AT ALL when you question them!).
7. Shuns moderation in favor of extreme dietary restrictions (no sugar, no carbs, no wheat!) and extreme excesses (eat all the butter and meat you can get your hands on!).
8. Creates and follows arbitrary dietary rules like avoiding gluten when you don’t have celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
9. Frequently puts down conventional medical & actual nutrition experts and claims to have MUCH better insight and knowledge than they.
10. Refers to anecdotal evidence, n=1 experiments, testimonials, and “it works for me and my disciples!” more than scientific research.
11. Claims that THE KEY to weight loss is all in tinkering with the hormones in your body, not simply eating less.
12. Conveniently has a book or product to sell you or else sells the dubious supplements that they HIGHLY recommend.
Have you ever come face-to-face with a diet guru? Scary, isn’t it?!